6 Reasons Why You Should Consider Using Nylon PA11 for 3D Printing
January 10, 2020
As 3D printing continues to mature and make inroads into fresh industrial applications, additional materials are necessary to keep apace. One of the more recently released materials for Multi Jet Fusion (MJF) is PA11. Combined with GoProto’s utilization of AMT’s vapor smoothing technology, we are able to 3D print parts with surface and mechanical characteristics more like injection molded parts.
Nylon PA11 is a material with excellent performance characteristics that mitigates many of the negatives inherent to other materials. With excellent impact and chemical resistance and an eco-friendly and bio-friendly profile, here are six reasons to consider Nylon PA11 for your project.
- Impact Resistant – With a Shore Hardness of 80 and a high elongation at break of 50%, Nylon PA11 has excellent impact resistance over a wide range of temperatures. It is highly ductile and its performance in impact tests is twice as strong as Nylon PA12.
- Chemical Resistant – Nylon PA11 has excellent chemical resistance to hydrocarbons including aliphatic hydrocarbons and aromatic hydrocarbons. It is also resistant to grease and has been tested against substances such as motor oils, gasoline, toluene and brake fluid. And it is also resistant to bases and salts including chlorine salts, concentrated alkaline, alcohol and esters.
- High Heat Deflection – Nylon PA11 has been used in devices and cases under harsh weather conditions and prolonged use. It has an HDT of 350° F and will hold its mechanical properties under extreme environments.
- Strength and Flexibility – With its excellent mechanical properties, Nylon PA11 is used within consumer goods markets for cases and containers as well as within the sports and aerospace industry. But it is also finding a particularly useful space within the medical industry as well. It is ideal for prosthetics, insoles, snap fits and living hinges.
- Biocompatible – Nylon PA11 is biocompatible and meets the requirements of USP Class I-VI and US FDA guidance for intact skin surfaces for in-vitro cytotoxicity, muscle implantation, skin irritation and systemic toxicity.
- Eco-Friendly – Nylon PA11 is 100% biocompatible and is plant based and made from castor oil. It is also highly reusable within 3D printing systems with up to 70% reusability resulting in less waste.